See if We Have Top-Rated
Bedroom Contractors in Your Area
They may seem to be a holdover from simpler, more luxurious times, but bedroom vanities are making a big comeback in the midst of our hectic modern world. Couples getting ready for work often find that a bedroom vanity is a way to keep them from stumbling over one another in the rush to get ready and get out the door. But just because they make sense, doesn't mean they can't be beautiful. The right piece will be an attractive addition to your bedroom.
Bedroom Vanity Styles
Art deco is a style that harkens back to the 1920s and 30s. It uses bold primary colors, geometrical shapes, and steel and plastics. An Art Deco style vanity will bring you back to the days of Jay Gatsby and the flappers.
- Contemporary or Modern style vanities feature clean lines, simple, unadorned shapes and few frilly edges.
- Cottage is the name for an informal style that uses natural materials and textures for a rustic, rough-around-the-edges feel.
- Queen Anne is the furniture style that has its roots in English architecture of the 18th century and is known for its focus on simplicity and refinement.
- Shaker/Mission furniture blends the simple, uncomplicated furniture of the Colonial American sect with the American arts and crafts movement as well as Spanish Colonial architecture.
- Traditional vanity style is ornate, but measured. It uses natural colors and materials like wood, iron, and brass. Most vanities draw on this style, and are marked by delicate ornamentation, carved woodwork, and fine details.
Bedroom Vanity Materials
Vanities come in a variety of materials, but the best are made of sturdy metal or hardwood such as cherry or mahogany. In metal vanities, look for intricate iron scroll work and a powder coat for a durable finish. In wood, hand-carved construction is a mark of quality.
Bedroom Vanity Features
The devil is in the details, and so is the value. Here are some of the features of a quality bedroom vanity:
- Jewelry Armoires have small drawers (often fabric-lined) that will protect your valuables. Some feature a side door that will open to reveal hooks for your necklaces.
- Stools and benches are a great alternative to the traditional chair. Often they will come with the vanity set and enhance the beauty of the piece, as well.
- Mirrors come in as great a variety as there are vanity designs. Often they come with the stand, but mixing and matching is a perfect way to customize.
With so many options, it shouldn't take long to find the bedroom vanity that will both beautify your home and simplify your life.
Jon Nunan is a freelance writer who draws on his experience in construction, ranging from landscaping to log home building, for his articles on home improvement.