Concrete Contractors in Houston, TX
Find the Right Pro. Right Away.
Let our ProFinder technology instantly match you to the perfect pros for your project.
Houston Concrete Contractors
Construction activity is on the rise across the nation with 4.1% annual growth. In total, there are over 240,000 concrete contractors employed in the United States, and Texas itself is home to over 33,000 construction laborers just in the Houston metropolitan area alone. Concrete contractors are a large part of the construction business in Houston, with about 4,400 cement masons and concrete finishers employed in the city.
As construction businesses continue to thrive across the nation, Houston residents can expect a variety of options when they look for a contractor to hire for their concrete needs.
Popular Concrete Tasks and Jobs
Working with concrete can be a dangerous task. Not only does the size and type of concrete matter, but also it is important to have the proper permits in place depending on the scope of the job. When Houston homeowners need concrete work done on their property, contacting a licensed professional is the best and safest way to get the job done. Here are some of the common concrete tasks and jobs in Houston:
- Concrete removal – Concrete removal is a large job that is best left to a professional. Removing concrete involves creating a strategy for removal, and often requires using heavy equipment to transport the concrete pieces. A professional can evaluate the concrete and remove it from your property while paying close attention to underground lines.
- Concrete delivery – Having concrete delivered to your property is one of the fundamental steps that some homeowners overlook. If you need a lot of concrete delivered, hiring a professional makes the task much easier. Providing instructions on where to deliver the concrete eliminates the need for frequent trips to the company's site, as well as reduces the risk of injury for the homeowner.
- Concrete slab leveling or mudjacking – Concrete slab leveling is also known as mudjacking, and is a method used to level out cracked concrete in order to make it even and stable. When Houston homeowners require concrete slab leveling, a licensed professional with the proper tools and equipment can handle the job and ensure that the home's structure is safely supported.
- Stamped concrete installation – Stamped concrete installation takes regular concrete to another level of design. Professionals use a stamping tool to give wet concrete a patterned look that brings personality to patios, pathways, sidewalks, and more. A licensed professional can mix the concrete properly and add a powdered pigment to change the color, and then stamp it in an even manner.
- Foundation installation – The foundation of a home is one of the key factors to the longevity of the structure. Licensed concrete contractors can handle the planning, drainage, and sealing steps that come with installing a stable foundation. Without proper installation by a professional, the foundation may cause problems for a Houston homeowner down the road.
- Foundation repair – Repairing a faulty installation is extremely important to maintaining a safe and secure home. If a foundation is left unrepaired it can lead to major structural issues, which are often costly. After getting a report from a structural engineer, a professional can handle the concrete repair to ensure the safety of a home's foundation.
- Raising foundation – When homeowners need to raise a home's foundation, it is important to contact a licensed professional. Raising a foundation involves lifting the home from the ground and, if done incorrectly, it can cause irreversible damage to the home's structure. A professional will take into consideration factors like the size of a home, any issues with transporting a home, ground movement, and cleanup around the foundation.
Local Cost Information for Concrete Services in Houston
No matter what type of concrete work you need done on your property, the costs vary greatly based on location. Average prices in Houston are higher and lower than state or national costs in some cases. Here are the average prices in Houston for some of the most common concrete jobs, compared against state and national averages:
- Concrete Removal
- National Average: $946
- Texas Average: $950
- Houston Average: $1,070
- Concrete Delivery
- National Average: $2,523
- Texas Average: $2,112
- National Average: $844
- Texas Average: $1,276
- Houston Average: $954
- Stamped Concrete Installation
- National Average: $4,090
- Texas Average: $3,476
- Houston Average: $3,984
- National Average: $7,731
- Texas Average: $9,198
- Houston Average: $21,200
- Foundation Repair
- National Average: $3,770
- Texas Average: $4,820
- Houston Average: $5,238
- Raising Foundation
- National Average: $4,189
- Texas Average: $3,970
- Houston Average: $4,530
As shown by the data above, costs of concrete work in Houston are often higher than the state average. For that reason, it is important for homeowners to decide on a budget and carefully choose a licensed contractor that they feel will do the work well.
Service Areas in Houston Covered by Concrete Pros
Houston is a large city with a lot to offer, especially when it comes to finding nearby licensed professionals. Here is a list of six of the top neighborhoods and areas in Houston covered by concrete experts:
- Linkwood – Linkwood is a smaller neighborhood on the southwest side of Houston that is host to many upper middle class families. The neighborhood is peppered with quaint brick homes built on large lots, adding to the cozy vibe of the area.
- Midtown – With a blend of young and middle-aged residents, Midtown boasts a hip atmosphere that includes restaurants, bars, greenery, and shops galore. Midtown is ideal for those desiring a neighborhood that is easy to explore on foot while watching the variety of people who come to enjoy the ambiance.
- Greater Third Ward – Nestled southeast of the downtown Houston area, Greater Third Ward has a past rich with history that mixes with modern architecture. Many younger residents rent in the Greater Third Ward area, enjoying the low rental costs and encouraged by a rising rate of inhabitants.
- Downtown – Downtown Houston is ideal for young people who want to take advantage of Houston's natural features and hip entertainment spots. Open spaces like Market Square Park offer the luxury of outdoor activities, while convention centers and stadiums provide all of the entertainment that Texans of all ages crave.
- Eastwood – Those looking for an architectural blend of homes suited for young urban professionals flock to Eastwood in Houston. Eastwood enjoys lower housing costs than nearby neighborhoods but still has all the charm that Texans come to expect from Houston, and it is within decent proximity to the downtown area.
- The Woodlands – The Woodlands is a community built on a plan that delivers activities and entertainment galore. From large malls to a convention center and residential neighborhoods, The Woodlands seems to have it all. Not to mention it features 6,000 acres of protected green space brimming with walking and biking paths that residents and visitors can explore.
Licensing & Insurance Requirements in Houston
The state of Texas only requires specialty contractors to obtain a license before they take on work. While concrete contractors do not need a license, specific municipalities or counties may require licenses for contracted workers.
Additionally, the Department of Transportation requires prequalification for workers to bid on some concrete-related jobs in Texas, such as paving, minor structure tasks, and miscellaneous concrete jobs. Concrete contractors in Houston who obtain a license and insurance may have an easier time finding work than those who do not, due to their credibility and training.
Applying for a Permit
Contractors must contact their local state department in Texas to inquire about an application for obtaining a license. Completing related courses or working under an apprenticeship in the Houston area is an important step to gaining expertise and on-the-job skills.
Apprenticeships can help concrete workers master the fundamental proficiencies needed for the job, including mixing concrete, installing and removing concrete, using tools to smooth concrete and grout, creating and building layouts for concrete forms, and much more. Once the application is sent in and approved, the contractor can then use his or her license as credibility when looking for work. Contractors must keep their license renewed and up to date following the guidelines in their area.
Having insurance is another key factor to obtaining work as a concrete worker. Obtaining liability insurance protects workers and homeowners alike should something go wrong during concrete installation, repair, or removal. Often times, contractor liability insurance is required for a contracted worker to bid on a job.
No matter what type of concrete work Houston residents want to accomplish on their property, finding a licensed and insured professional is one of the key steps to getting the work done safely. Not only will a licensed professional be able to take care of the planning necessary to complete the job, but also he or she will have the knowledge and expertise essential to ensuring concrete installation, repair, or removal is completed with the proper permits in place.
Recent Job Requests for Concrete Contractors in Houston, TX
Unscreened Concrete Contractors in Houston
Houston, TX 77093
Houston, TX 77064
Houston, TX 77292
Katy, TX 77492
Pasadena, TX 77502
Houston, TX 77042
Houston, TX 77080
Waller, TX 77484