Man’s best friend doesn’t have to be your lawn’s worst enemy. If you are in the process of choosing the type of seed or sod to put down and have a dog or may adopt one in the future, you should consider the best type grass for dogs. Our guide can help you find the most durable grass for dogs, that can play as rough as your pup and stays fresh.
On This Page:
- Best Grasses for Dogs
- How to Maintain Your Grass and Prevent Damage
- Tips for Dog Owners
|Fescue||Uses diluted urine as a fertilizer|
|Kentucky Bluegrass||Rapid growth rate|
|Perennial Ryegrass||Deep root development|
Fescue and perennial ryegrass are the most resistant to dog urine. In fact, when diluted, urine acts as a fertilizer for these types of hardy grasses.
With its quick growth, Kentucky Bluegrass is a tough grass for dogs who do a lot of running around. This grass for high traffic backyard dogs will recover fast and grows back healthy.
If you can’t keep your dog from digging in the lawn, grasses with deep root systems like the Perennial Ryegrass can sometimes discourage these behaviors. They also grow back and recover fairly quickly.
- Provide your grass proper maintenance
- Reseed regularly
- Neutralize the acidity of dog urine with Calcium Hydroxide, better known as lime
- Put in a grass seed that works well with your climate
Even the best lawn for dogs will struggle if you don’t follow these basic maintenance rules. The cost to reseed your lawn can vary, but is worth the expense if you want to care for your grass and your dog. Find lawn maintenance companies near you to effortlessly keep a beautiful lawn in your home.
Ready to start your Lawn Seeding or Sod Installation?Find Pros
- Don’t let dogs play on wet grass, as this is when your lawn is most delicate
- Encourage your dog to enjoy the full yard for even wear and tear
- Train your dog to pee and poop in the same spot to limit your maintenance work
- Dilute the pee and pick up the poop to keep your grass healthier
What type of grass is most resistant to dog urine?
Ryegrass and Fescue are most resistant. Kentucky Bluegrass and Bermuda are most sensitive.
How do you grow grass with dogs?
- Make sure your dog’s pH is not too acidic
- Hydrate your dog to decrease urine concentration
- Create a potty area
- Choose a hardy grass
- Give your lawn maintenance
What kind of grass is best for dogs to eat?
The best grains for sprouted dog grass are oats, wheat, rye and barley. They provide a safe, toxin-free supplement.