One area of the home improvement industry that remains strong despite a weak housing market is building a home addition. Homeowners who decide they need a bigger home but can’t justify selling their property frequently turn to home addition contractors. Of course, building onto a home can be just as much of an ordeal, if not more so, compared to hunting for, bidding on, and closing on a new home. No matter what your reason for building a home addition, you need to know quite a few things about your prospective builder. Answers to some basic questions will give you a sense of whether or not you could work comfortably with a particular home addition professional. Below are some questions to ask:
Questions to Ask before you Hire someone to Build onto a Home
- How long have you been building home additions?
- Were you formally trained or how did you acquire your experience?
- Do you belong to any professional associations?
- Are you licensed and registered with the state?
- Are you insured?
- Do you have any references I may contact?
Questions about Your Home Addition Contractor’s Work
- Do you give written warranties?
- Will this project require a permit?
- Can you estimate how long this will take?
- Will you provide options for different materials?
Need to find a pro for your home addition?Find Pros
Interview Question for References
- Were you happy that you decided to build onto the home?
- Was the addition completed on time?
- Were there any unexpected expenses?
- Would you use this home addition contractor again?
- Would you recommend this home addition contractor?
That said, not all home additions are created equal, and you should tailor your questions for your specific projects. A carport or backyard shed is not the same caliber project as an extra bedroom or a new master bath. Likewise, you should seek out references that completed a similar project in terms of building onto a home.
No Comments Yet
You can be the first to comment!