The importance of caring for the environment seems to be in the news every day, and sometimes it is hard to know how to make a difference in the world on an individual level. However, there is good news; it is simple to start going green at home by taking a few small steps in the right direction. The even better news is that being a friend to the environment often benefits the wallet. There are a variety of ways to reduce waste and save money in the home, and some of them are even fun! Conserving water and energy are what typically comes to mind when thinking of going green in the home, but reducing waste by "precycling", reusing, recycling, and conserving in the lawn and garden are also important ways to go green. From turning out lights when not in use to making bottle cap jewelry, there is sure to be a way for everyone to reduce waste and save money in the home.
- Conserve Water Around the Home: Gather tips on how to save water in the bathroom, kitchen, and lawn.
- Ways to Conserve Water: Read a few tips on how to conserve water in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, and outdoors here.
- Fifty Ways to Save Water (pdf): Although this is a publication for Florida, these 50 tips on water conservation apply to everyone.
- Conserving Water: This article discusses why it is important to save water, goes over how much water people typically use, and gives tips on how to reduce water use.
- How to Conserve Water: This comprehensive web page from the EPA covers all aspects of water conservation, from the engineering of homes and buildings to behavioral practices that reduce water use.
- Twenty Ways to Save Water (pdf): Although this is a fact sheet on how to save water during a drought, most of these tips are relevant for every day.
- What's in it for Me? (pdf): Money saving tips are given in this brochure, as well as an explanation of why it is important to be water smart.
- Hiring a local plumber to install a high efficiency toilet or repair pipes can reduce consumption and save on your water bill!
Clever Ways to Reuse and Recycle
Reduce Waste by "Precycling"
- Reducing Pharmaceutical Waste: Pharmaceutical waste is not only dangerous for the environment; it is also expensive-read about how to reduce the amounts of unused medications in the home.
- Reduce Food Waste: Protecting foods, planning use of foods, storing items appropriately, and paying attention to expiration dates are all ways to save money and reduce food waste according to this website.
- Precycling: Precycling is defined and precycling tips such as buying locally and making good buying decisions are discussed.
- Precycle before the Holidays (pdf): This university extension newsletter contains an article on precycling for the holidays, which are times when a lot of waste is created and a lot of money is wasted.
- The Concept of Precycling: This journal article details some of the concepts of precycling.